1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get our resource pack.
    You will need McPatcher to get the most out of it , if you don't know how follow the tutorial here.

Residence, Grief Prevention and LWC

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by mechanicaljack, May 11, 2013.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.

Residence, Grief Prevention and LWC

Discussion in 'News and Announcements' started by mechanicaljack, May 11, 2013.

1. mechanicaljack

mechanicaljack Administrator Staff Member

Hey guys, bringing you an update on server stuff. In 2 weeks we are going to cease general player access to the Residence plugin and switch to Grief Prevention. Grief Prevention works a little bit like Residence, but it's more intuitive and gives you more options. We recently tested it on the temp world and everyone who used it seemed to enjoy it. We've also asked other server operators about their experience with it, and the feedback was glowingly positive. I understand apprehension to change, but I think this will be a great change. That said, these are going to be the protection size per rank:​
    • 256 blocks Default
    • 1024 blocks Regular
    • 4096 blocks Contributor
    • 6400 blocks Supporter
    • 8000 blocks Philanthropist
    • 10240 blocks VIP
    What do those numbers mean? Those are the numbers of blocks you start with. I will attempt to make a tutorial sometime in the near future explaining commands and whatnot. For now, I'll just tell you that you protect your area block by block, and it's automatically protected from sky to bedrock. Vertical blocks don't count against that total. a 32x32 protection from sky to bedrock would be 1024 blocks, or the size we give to the Regular rank, for comparison. You'll notice I said 'start with.' We plan to have some method of accessing larger protection sizes. We're still ironing the details on that one out.​
    As for Residence? Well, we're going to continue using it for towns. Grief Prevention works great for personal protections and areas you don't mind sharing with close friends, but when it comes to being in a large town where you want to have some control for the people you don't know very well, Residence is clearly superior with the plethora of flags available. If Grief Prevention ever has a comparable flag system, we may switch entirely to it, but for now this is what we've chosen to go with.​
    As for LWC? We've used LWC for a long time. It's been a great plugin for what it does and we've enjoyed it. However, as you've probably guessed by the way I'm talking about it, we're going to stop using it. Both Grief Prevention and Residence have chest protection properties built in. In addition, if you look back up at that chart of protection sizes, you'll notice that even Default players now will have an area they can protect and call their own. We did that specifically with the removal of LWC in mind, because we don't want brand new players scared off or forced into joining a town just to protect their precious precious diamonds and emeralds.​
    But Mechjack, why are we deleting LWC? Well... I don't know if you've been around the server lately, but you may have noticed chests, furnaces, doors and signs littering the landscape in some places. You might even be a town mayor who has kicked a player out and had to ask an admin for help in removing their junk. When we remove LWC, this will be a thing of the past. Even Grief Prevention plots will have a built in life span if a player leaves the server.​
    So what does this mean for you guys? You need to hunt down your chests in the next two weeks and move them somewhere safe. Also, very very soon Noob and I will get Grief Prevention fully functional and you need to throw down a Grief Prevention plot on any personal residences you have. The allotted space should either meet or exceed what your residence is protecting. We did the math. LWC will be deleted on the 24th of May, and we will finish removing non-town Residences starting at that point. Sometime in the next few days, after Grief Prevention is properly set up, player ability to create residences will be removed. You'll still have permissions relative to town management and subzone creation, but you won't be able to create a Residence protection.​
    TL;DR?​
    1. We're starting to use Grief Prevention (it's a plugin)
    2. We're stopping player use of Residence except in towns.
    3. We're deleting LWC. Move your chests.
    4. This will all be done in 2 weeks.
    5. I swear this is a good thing.
    As always, you guys are awesome and thank you for choosing and supporting Crafthub through contributions. We wouldn't exist without you.
    -mechjack
  2. Jonathan24er

Jonathan24er Member

So, the only way to lock chests are with the container flag?
  3. 4everLink

4everLink Member

^yup. so I will have to set that "main res container t" thing to f. and make it so the builders don't have universal container perms either. I'll have to re check res subzones perms about that container flag to. I like lwc and I dunt want it to go. but I'll have to look through everything now and be more carefull with containers and such from now on.
  4. Joecool6789

Joecool6789 Member

I think that this a horrible idea. What is the problem with the current plugins? And you swear this is a good thing. In what ways is this good other than giving new players a chance at a free protection and no more chests at spawn. Because so far, I see no good coming from this, just a lot of hatred, probably some players like me quitting the server, less money coming in to the server, and more people hacking the server because this plugin has been used on larger servers.
  5. noobidoo

noobidoo Administrator Staff Member

I'm not sure if you misunderstood us, we are keeping residence for towns, it's just your personal protection that we move to grief prevention.
  6. 4everLink

4everLink Member

^though by the less money thing I think he means there will now be FAR less incentive and reason to donate. if you can get protection anyways even without a town, and even gain MORE protection, no town, no donations, well then why would people join a town or donate? that much I can agree with. (though I really don't mean to attack your new plan that you guys seem to have so much hope in. I dun like being mean you know.)
  7. noobidoo

noobidoo Administrator Staff Member

No it's a valid concern i agree, but as i said to joe to we have gotten roughly $40 in the past 3 months. We can't keep paying for it our selfs, therefore we are taking action to maybe get more players to stick around by offering the a protection. More players hopefully means more donations. And we have seen before that residnece is not intuitive enough for new players to use.
  8. Joecool6789

Joecool6789 Member

I saw a plugin that makes you have to put a sign on a chest to lock it. Maybe we would use that? Because I kinda like the ability to lock chests. Although, this makes it so you have to gather more materials to be able to do lock chests,.
  9. Tonoshi

Tonoshi
    Staff
    Staff Member

I'm not too worried about the change. Grief Prevention seems like a good plugin. I especially like how you're not limited to a specific number like Residences (example 4 32x32 residences compared to 4,096 blocks of any size and shape). If you have a town, you still get Residence. If you're creative with subzones, you won't miss LWC. Create a specific area to subzone just for chests and either flag it for everyone or tag certain people.

The "sky is falling" mentality is really silly / annoying whenever there is some kind of change. Change is good. The biggest attraction to donate is Sethome in my opinion. Being able to set a location to teleport back to allows you to venture further away from spawn. If you think about, without sethome trading materials would be very limited. Why? Say you're the only person online in your town 15,000 blocks away from the nearest person with Oak logs. Do you /call and trade with person only to wait a real life day before someone in your town logs in to /call back? Do you use Chestmail to mail 10 stacks of logs? Who in this thread even knows what Chestmail is? (I'm betting is not many.)

I understand that it is immensely easier to point out all the negatives. Unfortunately there is no perfect plugin or group of plugins.
  10. 4everLink

4everLink Member

^ of corse YOU do alb. you like the idea of running out and grabbing all those now non LWC protected chests. but for those of us who need to have our chests protected, it's not so great. sure I don't care about going out and raiding chests. but unless I make some changes to the residence and subzones around my city there are going to be a bunch of problems with peoples chests getting raided, which becomes a problem for me. and though there are non complicated but time consumeing ways of makeing sure that doesn't happen, there is then a problem with something at the areana.

as I have warned before, anything you take into the pvp area with you you then risk lossing if you die. and you can't simply expect that who ever kills you is simply going to be a friend and give it back to you if you ask. in fact you shouldn't really even ask, because there is no way to make them give it back besides killing them in the pvp zone. and if they give anything back it's simply because they feel like being nice. because even if they say they will give stuff back if they win to get you to fight, there is again no way to make sure that they do, and so you are still takeing the risk of loosing your stuff if they beat you.

now, I have set up some chests in the areana. they are currently all locked to me, but I have put them there so that when people come to the areana for events, I can unlock a chest for them to store stuff in that they do not want to loose. now what is the problem with this? well currently none. but if LWC is gone, well then there is a problem because unless I make a subzone for every single chest, all the chests would be accessible to everyone. there would be no safe way for anyone to store any of thier stuff. and since there's no subzone covering the areana, anything in the areana that is not in the mob spawn area, mob cages, or pvp area are in the cities main res. so to give someone container perms so they could use a chest in the areana there means they could use every chest throughout the city that is also not in a subzone. so the chests by the farms, (the chests in ejms tower I think), and any chests used for signshops in the market area I plan to make (includeing those for the signshops in the areana to now that I think of it) would be open to anyone that I try to give permission to for useing a chest to store stuff in in the areana.

I think we should simply make the LWC protections for each player expire after 15 days. that means after 2 weeks and a day thier lwc protections would be gone. there would be no waiting a month to get ride of chests doors furnaces and signs of some old destroy house from a player that was only on for 2 days. and if say pegasus were going on vacvation for 2-3 weeks and wouldn't be able to come on durring that time, he could tell the admins that and they could maybe make it so his lwc protections won't expire unless he's been gone for like 4 weeks. then when he gets back they can set it back down to 2 weeks again.

I think 2 weeks is a fair time. and without LWC, protecting things is going to become alot harder. even if res and GP do have some form of container protection, it's not as good as LWC.
    and like Tono said, no plugin or setup is perfect, not even LWC. but I think it's better to keep it. would waiting even 2 weeks to take down the protected stuff of a player who was only on a couple days be annoying? I'm sure it could be. but I don't see it being a problem unless it was in a town. but then again, I'd be willing to wait. and if I'm out of plots for houses (which I soon will be) and a person wants a house, I could give them the house of a player that hasn't been on in forever or hasn't done much with thier house plot. and I'd just say hay "this chest is from the last player that was here. it's locked now, but in a few days what ever's in it is yours :p"

and 2 weeks isn't really THAT long. plus it's enough to be fair to players that do play on the server more often but maybe arn't on ALL the time or do have to be away for alittle bit now and then.
  11. mechanicaljack

The plugin that removes LWC protections doesn't function correctly, if it functions at all. Currently, most of the chests on the server should be unlocked, and they aren't. There is no way that I know of to reliably remove lwc protections after a set time period. The issue with the idea of us having an expiration and then extending it for certain players who go on vacation is actually completely counter to what we're try to accomplish, which is to have a set system in place that is automatic or handled by players.

As for the arena, players can always put the items they don't want to bring in, in a chest at their home.

If money was the only concern, Joe's argument would be invalid simply because of history. We saw regular donations in the past with regular users having the ability to get protection. A plugin that requires extra effort to lock chests could be considered, but again, we're looking to remove the littered chests, doors, furnaces, etc that are all over the server. At this point, we unlock them when we find them if they haven't been touched in a set period of time anyway, so there is little to no difference where chests in open areas are concerned.

I really really don't understand the 'hacking' comment.

I expected some resistance to any changes, but we need some changes, and we're trying to enact a little at a time as we can test them and weigh the pros and cons.

The cons of this decision are that you can't just plop a chest down anywhere and have it protected. You also can't protect a chest through lwc and share it with certain individuals. The pros are that there won't be nonsensical protected clutter throughout the server, and the effort involved in setting up a subzone in a town for a chest is comparable to the effort involved in setting up a shared chest through LWC.

I'm really not sure what LWC could do that Residence can't mirror with a subzone, relative to chest sharing aside from the password protection option.
    spotsteeler and Tonoshi like this.
  12. spotsteeler

spotsteeler New Member

13. Yoshi_freak23

Yoshi_freak23 New Member

I have a question... would there be another way to lock our chests and stuff in towns? That's the main thing I like about LWC, and if there's a way I can still lock my stuff, I'm fine with it. My only concern if there isn't, is that I like having the security of knowing only people I want can get in my chests, not just anyone who can find a way into my house.
  14. Jonathan24er

Jonathan24er Member

The only way to lock chests in town is with the "container" flag.
  15. mechanicaljack

Subzone sir. More work for mayors, but you do have to request to be mayor of a town and not just a citizen.
  16. Jonathan24er

Jonathan24er Member

What do you mean by, " request for mayor?"
  17. mechanicaljack

You have to ask to have a town. You have to build a border, decide on a theme and get your citizens and then ask us to create your town.
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.