1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.
  2. Get our resource pack.
    You will need McPatcher to get the most out of it , if you don't know how follow the tutorial here.

"Factions RPG World" Comments and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Raemis, Sep 1, 2012.

"Factions RPG World" Comments and Suggestions

Discussion in 'Suggestions' started by Raemis, Sep 1, 2012.

1. Raemis210

Raemis210 Administrator Staff Member

This thread is for the discussion of the PVP world.
  2. Raemis210

What we are currently running matches up closely with how I feel about this particular world.

I think that the following tweaks would help out:
    - Faction members don't get kicked for 30 days.
    - Lower the cost of making a faction to 250.
    - Lower the number of members required to claim land to 3. This makes it much easier for a faction to get started without having to really strain to find like minded players, as is the case now.
    - The minimum power for someone who remains offline should be between -1 and -3 to create a penalty for having many offline players
    - A means of getting to spawn that provides incentive against spamming. I suggest using some form of chimaera wing. The component cost of the ability should be increased as a deterrent to spamming.
    - Outposts for trading of emeralds into currency. With this, I could also make it a bit more difficult to trade emeralds at spawn, or at least add some form of danger to it. With the trade center right outside spawn, there is little to no danger. With various outposts there would at least be the danger of traveling to them.
  3. I agree the fact that it costs so much to make a faction and than having to need 5 members to even claim land seems just high. not that many ppl know or trust 4 other ppl, and from what ive seen now they just invite them to faction do what they have to do and kick them out for some crazy idea that they just arent trusted or is doing the faction bad. which is why i point out that single player factions still might be the way to go, it will please others since trust is always a main issue, and it will make getting a protection 100x's easier. and since if i understand factions right, 1 claim land costs 1 power? so thier is still a threat to lose the land if you die alot or get killed. but also on a side note from what i remember from the meeting someone suggested that thier always be 1 claimed chunk that is always safe from being captured more than likely the players /f home chunk. which i know will cause issues cause part of factions is to claim thier land and take whats in it ie the chests and if they always have one claimed land unclaimable they can just hide thier chests in that. like i said idk how factions really works or the many ways you can configure it. im just shooting out thoughts and ideas.
  4. Swagaraga

Swagaraga
    Staff
    Staff Member

While I enjoy factions I feel like we should look at alternatives to it that might better suit the community.
  5. mechanicaljack

mechanicaljack Administrator Staff Member

Suggested plugins, or at least the functions of different plugins?
  6. Swagaraga

Swagaraga
    Staff
    Staff Member

I would like to have a test for Towny and War,
    Doom6197 likes this.
  7. Tonoshi

Tonoshi
    Staff
    Staff Member

Has anyone thought about using the PvP Money plugin? It would give a reason to fight other players and then the money could be used to expand the faction's area of control (if we keep factions). I haven't used this plugin so I can't speak for it first hand, but it could be an interesting addition I think.
  8. mechanicaljack

I like the idea personally. If warfare is what the other world is about, then it should be more fluid and accessible.
  9. Raemis210

Edit: Thirded.
  10. Swagaraga

Swagaraga
    Staff
    Staff Member

TBH I would like to just voice my opinion, I feel that what ever decision is made, splitting the community is absolutely the wrong thing to do. Even though players will be on the same server "technically" when there are 35 people online and only 5 in the factions world it kinda defeats the purpose for factions. Furthermore I have felt that from past updates and other projects/ideas like this, they tend to die out because they stop getting the attention that they need to start so forgive me if I am skeptical.
  11. i just wanna live on my own with protection and not worry about barbarian hordes pillaging my builds and items

also on a side note, have you ever thought of using interesting mods that give more to the game experience.. factions only give more pvp.... but maybe IC2, BC or something along those lines.
  12. Tonoshi

Tonoshi
    Staff
    Staff Member

I've seen a few threads on the Minecraft forums where someone ran a month long experiment with X amount people. They made a small map like 350 by 350 and the people inside had to survive within the limited space. At first it was a mad dash for supplies and such, but after a day or two they started to realize how small the space was. Alliances formed, materials had large value due to their scarcity, and some of the alliances had to resort to raiding the others for resources.

What if we did something like this instead of factions in the multiverse. Trade becomes important and PvP is a valuable skill to have so you can defend your supplies. Now we wouldn't have to go to the extreme of 350 by 350, but something small compared to the current would still be fun. Maybe 1000 by 1000 or 1500 by 1500. Small enough where resources are worth something, large enough for people build a base to protect.
  13. epenguin

epenguin New Member

If I have one suggestion it's make the map size much smaller. I've played on faction servers that have 50-75 players at any given time and the map is smaller so there's WAY more interaction among players. Which is kind of the point of faction based play. A map this size, with a player base as small as it is, the likelyhood of wandering around and finding another faction is pretty slim. The down side to that is new players will run into established factions much sooner too, so they have little chance to survive. Which leads me to my second point.

Make factions as small as 3 ppl and cheaper. Let them setup a base fairly easily and quick so at the very least they're protected.
  14. Tonoshi

Tonoshi
    Staff
    Staff Member

Are there any thoughts or opinions on there being a maximum size? Mostly to prevent super sized factions.
  15. epenguin

epenguin New Member

Members or land?

Members could be capped at 20 but really with allies, what difference does it make? You could easily have 40 ppl make 2 factions, ally and build around each other making a virtual 40 man faction or larger.

Land wise, I think 30 chunks is good.

That being said, what are the settings on this server? Previous ones I've used have had it so once your POWER is lower then your LAND, an equal chunk can be taken. So if you have 25 POWER and 30 LAND, then 5 of your land is up to be taken. I was told on this server your POWER had to equal 0 or less before LAND could be taken. I hope that's not the case as it gives little incentive to stay within your means. It's easy to build large and know it's hard to get your power to a negative. I like the idea of taking chunks of a base slowly as an opportunity arises. Grab a corner of a base when they have just a little too much power gone and then camp it and give them hell from a piece of their base you stole.
  16. Tonoshi

Tonoshi
    Staff
    Staff Member

I've been offline for a while due to work and a slightly broken computer, but I think the current setup is like you said. If the power level reaches 0, opponents can start claiming land. I think the system would work better if it was the difference between your power and land.

As far as the maximum size I had mentioned, I meant player size. I was thinking 10 players max with a 3 person minimum. 3 people to claim a chunk is more than enough and its easy enough to find 2 other people to team with. 5 seems a little excessive to me and from what I heard and seen, people were being invited to a faction then booted after the leader was finished claiming chunks.
  17. epenguin

epenguin New Member

I much prefer it setup that if your power is even 1 below your land, you risk losing 1 chunk. It makes factions think a little more about raiding and attacking if they're so close to losing power.

I think a 3 person faction is fairly easy to come by as well and 5 is quite difficult at times, especially for new people.
  18. mechanicaljack

People are mistaken if they told you that. If your power is less than your land, you can lose land.
  19. LordNut

LordNut Member

Here's my only input and my whole opinion. I do love me some Crafthub. But I completely hate factions. I like to build while having free pvp around the world. Having residence while being encouraged to pvp in a very pure survival world is exactly why I stayed at this server out of all of them, and why I havent been on much lately.
    However, if we do have to keep Factions I very strongly feel that the world should not be split. Our total populations isnt nearly half of what is online at once, especially at night when the server is at 0/50. And as I've said before on TS, If we have to keep factions I'd like to be able to build in peace, whatever it may take to do that.